The OctoInkjet store does have a set of rules on how relevant tax (VAT) should be applied to orders but it suffers from one very important lack of information…
… It doesn’t know which country you’re in when you first visit. As a result, it can’t figure out whether tax should apply to your order or not until you provide your country information.
Use The Cart To Get Tax & Shipping Info.
So, if you want to get accurate information from the cart on what you can expect to pay you can do one of three things:
1. Add a few things to your cart, then “View Cart” and use the “Estimate Shipping & Tax” function to provide the all important country info’. The cart will then use that information when displaying your cart contents showing tax if applicable or a tax free price if not.
2. If you’re happier viewing your products/cart in a different currency then select that currency using the “Currency Converter” (right/top of store pages).
The cart will identify if your currency is in a country where tax is not applicable (eg: USD$, AUD$, CAD$) and provide prices accordingly.
NB: Choosing GBP£ or EUR€ will obviously retain tax inclusive pricing because VAT is chargeable in the countries using those currencies
3. Select and add your products as normal, then use the checkout to place your order. Before you pay, you will be provided with the “Review Order” page which displays order and product prices based on the address information provided during checkout.
For customers located in the EU the following rules apply:
Order value of 150 Euros or less (for goods only – not shipping). The VAT rate for your EU country will be charged via this store. No additional VAT will be charged when receiving the order.
Order value of more than 150 Euros (for goods only – not shipping). No VAT will be charged via this store. However you will be charged import VAT and duty by the shipping service before or when you receive your order.
Please read this article for more detailed information available relating to EU customers/businesses wishing to purchase from OctoInkjet
For customers in Norway the following rules apply:
Order value (without shipping) of 3,000 NOK equivalent or less will be charged Norwegian VAT via this store. No additional VAT will be charged when receiving the order.
Order value (without shipping) of more than 3,000 NOK will not be charge VAT via this store. However you will be charged import VAT and duty by the shipping service before or when you receive your order.
Other International Orders & Import Duty?
If you want to know whether your order is likely to incur import duty/tax, you can use the tool on this page to work out what other costs, if anything, you might be expected to pay.
Isn’t All A Bit Complicated??
Yes. But tax rules and requirements are set by different countries and economic unions and we have absolutely no control over how they work. We wish we did!
The Bottom Line
The price you pay is based on whether tax is applicable for your location or not.
Our prices do not include tax value when it should not be charged.
Quite a few other stores will simply hide the tax included amount and include it in the price for non taxable customers, effectively charging a tax inclusive price but pocketing the extra that would otherwise go to the tax-man/woman/robot(?).
OctoInkjet doesn’t do that for two reasons:
1. You have your own taxes to pay
2. If/When your order breaks the import duty threshold you don’t want to be paying double
3. We’re nice(?) like that
4. We can’t count to 2 🙂
Please note, as a result of this policy we must politely decline any requests to be “creative” when completing customs and/or invoice declarations for International orders.